Acidity is rather a simple problem when it begins, but it can get out of hand easily if not taken seriously. It is a common disorder and results from a wrong diet. The excessive secretion of hydrochloric acid in the stomach is major reason of acidity. Prolonged acidity can cause chronic indigestion, ulcers, arthritis, gout, and even false angina pains.
Acidity is found to have a much higher incidence in highly emotional and nervous individuals. It is also more widespread in the developed and industrialized nations.
Symptoms Of Acidity
The main symptoms of acidity are:
• Dyspepsia and heartburn
• Burning sensation in the upper part of the gut area, especially after eating
• Loss of appetite
• Nausea, vomiting, restlessness and palpitation are symptoms of acidity.
Causes Of Acidity
Acidity may be caused by many conditions such as:
• Medical conditions, such as gastroesophageal reflux disease, stomach ulcers
• Constipation, flatulence or intestinal gases
• Artificial stimulants or the thought of nearing the food time can create acidity.
• Excessive intake of stimulants like tea, coffee etc.
• Excessive intake of fried foods, spicy or pungent food,
• As a side-effect of some drugs used for treating other illnesses
• Irregular meals
• Skipping breakfast
• Excessive smoking, intake of alcohol
• Lack of exercise and other factors are aging, pregnancy and obesity.
Some Home Remedies To Treat and Prevent Acidity
There are several home remedies and ayurvedic medicine for acidity that are safe and effective. The use of Ayurvedic medicines that can restrain the formation of acid recommended by health professionals is very effective in treating heartburn.
Ayurvedic medicines such as simple Kamdudha Rasa and Avipattikar churna are effective in treating heartburn. They are good for bowel movement and are effective in treating heartburn or acidity. Narikel wash is also a good remedy to treat heartburn.
1. A very simple remedy for acidity is thin butter-milk mixed with 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper powder. For better results, an equal quantity of cumin (jeera) powder and rock salt can be added to the buttermilk
2. Ingestion of cold milk, coconut water, almonds or raw garlic, all these gives relief from acidity and heartburn
3. A piece of jaggery(gur) after lunch and dinner prevents acidity
4. Mint juice capsules containing peppermint or peppermint oil are also a good herbal remedy to cure heartburn. It should be taken after a meal, to reduce the formation of gas.
5. Fruits that will provide relief from acidity are cucumber, watermelon, papaya and banana.
Tips for Acidity Patients
1. Slight changes in dietary habits and diet can prevent acidity problems.
2. Timely emptying of stomach cures acidity and helps in digestion of food. Practice pranayams regularly for better health.
3. Severe cases can be fully treated with regular course of ayurvedic medicines.
4. You have to be vigilant towards diet and avoid taking spicy and oily foods. As improper food habits and improper lifestyle may lead to pitta or heat in the body.